- To assess the impact of the Buteyko Breathing Technique (BBT) on medication use in asthma.
- A blinded randomised controlled trial comparing BBT with control was
conducted in 38 people with asthma aged between 18 and 70. Participants were
followed for six months following the intervention. Medication use and indices of
ventilatory function were recorded.
- at six months from baseline BBT group:
- reduction in inhaled steroid use of 50%
- reduction in b 2-agonist use of 85%
at six months from baseline control group:
- inhaled steroid use was unchanged
- reduction in b 2-agonist of 37%
No significant change in FEV1 (forced expiratory volume in one second) was
recorded in either group.